Sunday, September 14, 2008

Life/Death

This weekend has been one of the craziest weekends i've experienced in a long time. It has really pointed me to the fact that people really are good. Sure they may not always act like it and they slip up, but i think deep down inside us all there is a desire to love, to help and to build one another up.

This past wednesday night, one of my bestfriends/roomate's brother passed away in a car accident. I was woken up thursday morning by his aunt who wanted to get into our apartment to break the news to him. After about an hour or so, he packed up and went with her to Greensboro to be with his family. Needless to say, it was a rough morning.

Thursday night, my roomates and I drove to Greensboro to spend time with our roomate and his family. When we arrived we were welcomed by everyone as if we were part of the family.

This past weekend was filled with tears, laughter and recollections of past memories of my roomate and his brother. It's weird though... in the midst of the tragedy and sadness, I got to see the goodness in people really come out

Friends that had long slipped through the radar suddenly popped back up and came to my roomates side to love him and do whatever they could to help. Flowers were sent in, phone calls were made to encourage and uplift the family, and today at 3pm, almost 1,000 people showed up to share in the celebration of his brothers life and to be there for my roomate and his family.

I personally saw so many people come forth to offer support and love to his family. I think it's cool to see how emotionally trying times can bring the best out of people.

I think this ultimately points to the question of whether people are inherently good or bad. I know that Christianty points to the fact that man is naturally fallen, but i think this viewpoint still expresses the idea that God can still work through the fallen and all the depravity.

I think this weekend i learned that people do want to do good. They want to help, they want to love, and they want to share in life with one another. Sometimes it takes tragedy to remind us that we aren't the center of the universe and escape our pride and self-centeredness.

I dont know how relative this is to the direction the class is facing right now, but to me this was the most important and relative thing of the weekend. I guess it's just something i was thinking about

1 comment:

pamela1103 said...

Although it is sad to hear about the current situation you have been dealt, I think that it is always good to try and see the positive aspects behind any situation. I think that people naturally want to help like Mencius says, that when a child is about to fall into a well people feel distress and want to help.The only problem I think is that after a short amount of time people begin to be selfish again and forget about what the other person is still dealing with.
My mother died when I was 15 and a ton of people were very supportive of me for the first few weeks, but after that it was like everyone forgot and moved on, and I had not. I think that if people continuously are self reflecting and being aware of the people around them, then people will always be there for one another.
I definitely agree with you that people tend to have the most good traits and tendencies when they are met by someone else's tragedy.